According to Bloomberg news, HTC overtook Nokia Oyj this week as the world’s third-largest phonemaker by market value, posted record quarterly profit and sales on demand for Android smartphones.
Its ThunderBolt handset, using 4G networks, equaled sales of Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone in 61 percent of the 150 Verizon Wireless stores surveyed by New York- based BTIG LLC, analyst Walter Piecyk wrote in a March 31 report. ThunderBolt outsold iPhone in 28 percent of stores, according to the survey.
Its first tablet, HTC Flyer, was unveiled on Feb. 15. Sales will begin in the second quarter, rivaling Apple’s iPad and Samsung Electronics Co.’s Galaxy. Flyer has a smaller screen and higher-resolution camera than Apple’s iPad2.
HTC Flyer 7 Inch Specification :
- 7-inch, 1024×600 resolution screen (identical to the Galaxy Tab)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255 processor
- HDMI port
- DLNA-enabled for wireless streaming
- 5MP rear camera with both LED flash and facial recognition
- 1.3MP front-facing camera for video calling, Skype is preinstalled
- When the specs were received the device was running Gingerbread, but it just may be running Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- A remodeled version of HTC Sense that is more desktop-like
- HSPA connectivity (T-Mobile 4G?)
- Additional 10-inch in the works to directly compete with the iPad
- this iPad competitor will feature LTE and will be in stores sometime in the second half of the year